Looking back at this academic year, I've gone through so much drama at uni, but I guess you've gotta stay positive and I have learnt some valuable life lessons along the way. So here you go, 10 life lessons I've learnt at the age of 20:
|Me looking back into the darkness that was my second year at uni [photo taken by Rachel Fung]|
- Confidence helps. Act confident enough and you'll look great in any outfit. Act confidently enough and people will think you know what you're doing even if you have no idea what's happening in your life. Walk confidently enough when crossing the road and cars will stop for you (although, you know, make sure to look both ways and try your best to minimise the chances of being run over by a car - safety first). Confidence is always attractive and even if you feel like your life is crashing down around you, you'll give off an appearance that you have your shit together.
- Stop telling everyone everything. As much as they say 'a problem shared is a problem halved', talking to too many people about the same problems over and over again sometimes only drags out the issue and ends up with too many people having too many opinions.
- Time heals most wounds. Sometimes you feel like the world is ending and you can't do anything about it. Just have faith and give yourself time. Over time, some things will matter less and the pain you feel will slowly start to go away.
- Look at the bigger picture. Sure some problems are a big deal, but now that I look back at my year, there were so many wasted tears on my part. I wasted so much of my time and energy on problems that don't even matter now but seemed like such a major issue at the time. "Think twice before you give a fuck".
- Who cares about rumours. Rumours will fly this way and that way, but honestly, who cares? Any of your close friends should know and care about you well enough to not listen to any dumb rumours about you, and anyone else who chooses to listen to and spread those dumb rumours, they're not worth your time. It's always hard to stop caring but STOP CARING ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.
- Sleep sleep sleep. I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't function well with lack of sleep. And as great as caffeine is at keeping me just about awake, I'm grouchy, moody and angsty without getting enough sleep. Sleep is NOT for the weak. I'm happier with more sleep, more pleasant for others to be around and more productive.
- Don't force friendships. Follow your gut instinct. You just don't necessarily click with some people and that's okay. Don't try and force yourself to be friends with people when it just doesn't feel natural.
- You can't stop other people getting hurt. You can't try and solve everything. You can only give them advice if they ask and be there for them to help pick up the pieces after.
- Make more friends with girls. For some reason, most of my friends have turned out to be guys and when they're in relationships/getting into relationships, boys just bring hassle. Rumours fly, girlfriends get weary, and everything just ends up being a mess.
- Don't EVER meddle in someone else's relationships. Even if you had all the best intentions, wires get crossed and you end up getting too involved and things get awkward when you feel like you have to take sides and you're good friends with both sides of the couple.